Titel: The Jungle War: Mavericks, Marauders and Madmen in the China-Burma-India Theater of World War II
Autor/en: Gerald Astor
JOHN WILEY & SONS INC
Juli 2004 - gebunden - 392 Seiten
Praise FOR Gerald Astor "No one does oral history better than Gerald Astor. . . . Great reading."
– Stephen Ambrose on "The Mighty Eighth" "Gerald Astor has proven himself a master. Here, World War II is brought to life through the hammer blows of their airborne triumphs and fears."
– J. Robert Moskin, author of "Mr. Truman' s War, on The Mighty Eighth" "Astor captures the fire and passion of those tens of thousands of U.S. airmen who flew through the inferno that was the bomber war over Europe."
– Stephen Coonts on "The Mighty Eighth" "Oral history at its finest."
– "The Washington Post" on Operation Iceberg "Quick and well-paced, this will please even the most jaded of readers."
– "Army" magazine on Battling Buzzards "A stout volume by a distinguished historian of the modern military makes a major contribution on its subject."
– "Booklist" on The Right to Fight (starred Editor' s Choice) "Today, as we lose the veterans of World War II at an alarming rate, we must not lose sight of their sacrifices or of the leaders who took them into battle. Astor, an acclaimed military historian, provides an in-depth look at one of the war' s most successful division combat commanders, Maj. Gen. Terry Allen. . . . This well-written portrait makes for enjoyable reading."
– "Library Journal" on Terrible Terry Allen
Acknowledgments. Introduction. 1. The Venues and Opening Shots. 2. The Japanese Enlarge Their War. 3. First Strikes. 4. War Comes to Burma. 5. Further Additions to the Cast. 6. "We Got a Hell of a Beating". 7. CBI Doldrums. 8. Enter the Chindits. 9. Detachment 101, the Burma Road, and the Hump. 10. Offensive Preparations. 11. Long-Range Penetrations and Arakan Revisited. 12. Marauders and Thursday. 13. Chindits and Imphal. 14. The Northern Burma Campaign. 15. Imphal and Kohima Besieged, Chindits Beset, Marauders Perturbed. 16. Myitkyina Morass. 17. Finales for Marauders and Chindits. 18. Matterhorn. 19. The Prisoners of War. 20. The Tide Turns. 21. Death Throes of an Army. 22. Final Bloody Days. 23. After-Action Report. Bibliography. Index.
Gerald Astor, a former magazine editor and writer, has published twenty previous books, including A Blood-Dimmed Tide: The Battle of the Bulge by the Men Who Fought It; June 6, 1944: The Voices of D-Day; and The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It.
"Strikes an excellent balance between informing the reader as well as keeping him engaged. An outstanding read." (On Point: The Journal of Army History)