Titel: Buildings and structures in Zagreb
Art museums and galleries in Zagreb, Sports venues in Zagreb, Zagreb Synagogue, Stadion Kranjceviceva, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Croatian Museum of Naïve Art, Modern Gallery, Zagreb, Events held at the Arena Zagreb.
Herausgegeben von Source: Wikipedia
Books LLC, Reference Series
12. Juni 2011 - kartoniert - 32 Seiten
Source: Wikipedia. Pages: 31. Chapters: Art museums and galleries in Zagreb, Sports venues in Zagreb, Zagreb Synagogue, Stadion Kranjceviceva, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Croatian Museum of Naïve Art, Modern Gallery, Zagreb, Events held at the Arena Zagreb, Old City Hall, Stadion KoturaSka, Art Pavilion in Zagreb, 1 Ilica Street, Kallina House, Museum of Contemporary Art, Zagreb, St. Mark's Church, Zagreb, Zagreb Cathedral, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb TV Tower, The Strossmayer Gallery of Old Masters, Vatroslav Lisinski Concert Hall, Mirogoj Cemetery, Stadion Kajzerica, Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb, Zagrepcanka, Sisters of Charity Hospital, Rudolf barracks, University Hospital Centre Zagreb, Dom Sportova, Remetinec prison, Cibona Tower, Zagreb Funicular, Drazen Petrovic Basketball Hall, Cimos Building, Mimara Museum, Sky Office Tower, Zagreb Orthodox Cathedral, Banski dvori, Medvedgrad, Stadion Oboj, Dvorana Velesajam, National and University Library in Zagreb, Presidential Palace, Zagreb, Eurotower, Mamutica, Zagreb City Museum, Stadion NsC Stjepan Spajic, Clinical Hospital Dubrava, MeStrovic Pavilion, HOTO Tower, Zagrebtower, LotrScak Tower, Stadion Lucko, Klovicevi dvori, Gliptoteka, Chromos Tower, Gavella Drama Theatre. Excerpt: The Zagreb Synagogue (Croatian: ) was the main place of worship for the Jewish community of Zagreb in modern-day Croatia, from its construction in 1867 in the Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia within the Austrian Empire, until its demolition by the fascist authorities in 1941 in the Axis-aligned Independent State of Croatia. The Moorish Revival synagogue was located on modern-day PraSka Street and has been the only purpose-built Jewish house of worship in the history of the city. It was one of the city's most prominent public buildings, as well as one the most esteemed examples of synagogue architecture in the region. Since the 1980s, plans have been made to rebuild the synagogue in its original location, but due to various political circumstances, very limited progress has been made. Today's main disagreements which inhibit the construction of a new synagogue are concerning involvement of Jewish organizations in the reconstruction, and the design and character of the new building. Jews first permanently settled in Zagreb in the late eighteenth century, and founded the Jewish community in 1806. In 1809 the Jewish community had a rabbi and in 1811 it had its own cemetery. As early as 1833, the community was permitted to buy land for construction of a synagogue, but there was not enough money to finance the construction of one. By 1855, the community had grown to 700 members and, on October 30 of that year, the decision was made to build a new Jewish synagogue. The construction committee, appointed in 1861, selected and purchased a parcel of land at the corner of Maria Valeria Street (now PraSka Street) and Ban Jelacic Square, the central town square. However, a new urban planning scheme of 1864 reduced the area available for construction, and the community decided to buy another parcel of 1,540 square metres (16,600 sq ft) in Maria Valeria Street, approximately 80 metres (260 ft) south of the original location. Franjo Klein, a Vienna-born Zagreb architect, was commissioned