Titel: Philosophy of Religion
Autor/en: Copan, Meister
Classic and Contemporary Issues.
Herausgegeben von Paul Copan, Chad Meister, Kurt R. Meist
John Wiley & Sons
12. Oktober 2007 - kartoniert - 294 Seiten
Philosophy of Religion: Classic and Contemporary Issues offers a comprehensive and authoritative overview of the most important ideas and arguments in this resurgent field. The text moves beyond the borders of Western theism to more accurately reflect the nature of the twenty-first-century world.
Featuring eighteen original essays from leading scholars, this collection offers a wide variety of viewpoints for a well balanced perspective on both traditional and cutting-edge topics in philosophy of religion.
Designed for course use, this accessible text includes study questions and annotated further reading lists to stimulate reflection and provide opportunities for deeper exploration of the fundamental questions of the nature of religion.
Notes on Contributors.
Part I: Religious Experience and Knowledge:.
1. The Epistemology of Religious Experience: William E. Mann.
2. Religion and Science: John Polkinghorne.
3. Reformed Epistemolog: René van Woudenberg.
4. Religious Pluralism: Joseph Runzo.
5. Religious Exclusivism: Harold Netland.
Part II: The Existence of God:.
6. The Cosmological Argument: William Lane Craig.
7. The Teleological Argument: Robin Collins.
8. The Ontological Argument: Graham Oppy.
9. The Moral Argument: Paul Copan.
10. The Evidential Argument from Evil: Paul Draper.
11. A Naturalistic Account of the Universe: Quentin Smith.
Part III: The Nature and Attributes of God:.
12. The Coherence of Theism: Charles Taliaferro.
13. The Impossibility of God?: Robin Le Poidevin.
14. God, Time, and Freedom: Katherin A. Rogers.
15. Divine Hiddenness, Death, and Meaning: Paul K. Moser.
Part IV: Emerging Themes:.
16. Continental Philosophy of Religion: Bruce Ellis Benson.
17. Eastern Philosophy of Religion: Gavin Flood.
18. Feminist Philosophy of Religion: Pamela Sue Anderson.
Paul Copan is Pledger Family Chair of Philosophy and Ethics at Palm Beach Atlantic University in West Palm Beach, Florida. He has authored and edited a variety of books including Loving Wisdom: Christian Philosophy of Religion (2007), The Rationality of Theism (with Paul Moser, 2003), and Creation out of Nothing (with William Lane Craig, 2004).
Chad Meister is Director of Philosophy at Bethel College in Mishawaka, Indiana. His various books include Introducing Philosophy of Religion (forthcoming 2008), The Philosophy of Religion Reader (2007) and the Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Religion (with Paul Copan, 2007).
"This new range of specially commissioned articles by leadingphilosophers of religion brings us right up to date on traditionaland new topics in the field. Students and teachers alike will findmost profitable this comprehensive guide to both classic andcurrent debate and literature."
Harriet Harris, University of Oxford
"This has considerable potential as a course textbook ...Handy route map for middle- to upper-level undergraduates." Times Higher Education Supplement
"An invigorating, wide-ranging, and cutting edge volume.Its clear and carefully structured essays shed considerable lighton issues old and new. The book will excite both neophytes andexperts."
David Shatz, Yeshiva University
"This is a remarkably wide-ranging volume of essays by adistinguished team of experts in the philosophy of religion. Itwill be indispensable for teachers and students of the subject andof great interest to specialists in the field."
E. J. Lowe, Durham University